A bit about us
At Powerledger we build and deploy software solutions for the tracking, tracing and trading of renewable energy. We are a leader in the tech industry, focusing on doing one thing and doing it very well. Founded in 2016, we have more than 30 clients in 11 countries.
We're a growing, profitable business. Our goal is to build a company that will last forever while enjoying the journey and doing work that we are proud of. Our business model involves a deep understanding of our core customers, to deliver purpose-built software, backed up with great customer support and service. We make software that is easy to learn, use and delivers value to our customers.
Most of our team is based in Perth, Australia, where the company started, though we've spread to other parts of Australia, the US, Europe and the UK.
We are looking to grow our engineering team with Full Stack Engineers. We are seeking great problem solvers who enjoy collaborating with others (not just engineers) and who value well written and tested code. There are a lot of things we believe are great about working at Powerledger, but we are biased, so here are the key takeaways that most engineers want to know:
Tech Stack: We use a modern cloud native tech stack running React, Springboot, Java, and Mongo deployed using GitHub and Customize to Google Cloud. Our legacy code is three years old and we are a couple of months into redelivering that to suit the growing scale of the company.
We have an event driven architecture with our microservices and apis using Kafka (Confluent version) for messaging to support up to 100 million customers per deployment. We’re always advancing our DevOps, currently spiking big data solutions, and adding a number of products to our platform.
You will work closely with our platform/DevOps team who will ensure you have the best tools to do your role effectively. We’re scoping tooling to uplift monitoring and measurement of our production environment to provide next level data to steer the direction of the company.
We deliver features in slices, working in cross-functional teams, to ensure you will have real ownership over a problem from start to finish. Which includes work on requirement analysis and collaboration with Product Managers and Designers on developing user stories.
A typical day might include:
- Working where you work best, perhaps in a home office designed by you, using a device of your choosing, with or without music, in an atmosphere you create for yourself.
- Solidifying Powerledger’s engineering edge by further improving the platform upon which our world-class front ends are built.
- Changing source code hosted in GitHub, most of it in the open, collaborating on a pull-request, getting feedback from other Powerledger engineers on how the changes affect them and iterating on this to reach the desired outcome.
- Pairing with another software engineer or a support engineer to help them reproduce a tricky problem, helping them understand the inner workings of Powerledger’s front end so they can be more helpful to even more customers over time.
- Pairing with another engineer on a Zoom call to solve a complex technical front end problem or decide how to best architect the front end for new features.
- Fixing a bug in the front end and writing tests to prevent regressions.
- Improving our internal documentation to help Powerledger engineers better use our front end technologies and component library.
- Writing a blog post about something interesting for other developers, or explaining a new feature of Powerledger’s platform.
You will be a great fit for this role if:
- You enjoy automating things like builds, tests, deployments, infrastructure, and operational tasks.
- You are able to work independently, motivating yourself to do high-quality work on time, communicating with your teammates when you need help, or when you are ready for something new.
- You enjoy collaborating with other people to solve a problem, motivating others to discover the best solution by using a balance of passion, pragmatism and empathy.
- You are a results-oriented person. Someone who is focused on the consistent delivery of value to our customers. You willingly change direction based on clear and transparent business information and help others do the same.
We would love you to have
- Exceptional programming skills in Java
- Experience with SQL and NoSQL databases
- Web Services technologies experience i.e. REST
- Knowledge of microservices architecture
- Experience developing Spring Boot services
- Experience with MongoDB
- Experience with Apache Kafka
- Experience with Kubernetes or Docker
- Experience working with Cloud environments and technologies (GCP preferred)
- Basic knowledge of blockchain systems
- A strong level of professional Software Engineering experience
- An actionable level of knowledge with SOLID / Clean Code Principles
- Experience with Agile methodologies
- Proven mentorship and coaching skills
- Ideally you have some experience with our tech stack but we are looking for technology-agnostic engineers who want to use the best tool for the job.
- Enjoy working in an exciting scale-up where you will drive initiatives and have a real impact on our customers.
- You have worked across the full stack and enjoy diving into challenges across both the front and back end.
- Strong communication skills and enjoy working in cross-functional teams.
- Code quality must always be top of mind.
- Experience in a large scale environment is highly desirable. We're building processes to handle at least double our current customer base.
Our culture & benefits
At Powerledger, you’ll be part of an inclusive culture where individuality leads. We’re committed to ensuring that no matter where or who you are, everyone feels like they truly belong. Through training, workshops, social events, community partnerships, and company commitments like our Transpositive Inclusion Policy, we strive to foster a supportive working environment with a vibrant, global culture.
Powerledger’s company culture and values are based around collaboration, diversity, inclusion and flexibility. Those are all nice words, so here are some more specific examples:
- Training programs
- Flexible start and finish times
- Ability to have negative leave balance
We're continually assessing our employee value proposition alongside career paths as the company grows to ensure we provide a real and sustainable work-life balance. Read more about our approach here.
Interested? We'd love to hear from you. Please include a cover letter outlining what you can bring to the role and how Powerledger would be a good fit for you.
In addition to your role’s specific outcomes identified above, all staff are expected to provide:
- Contribute to a positive and innovative organisational culture and values: https://www.powerledger.io/company/our-values
- Demonstrate leadership for the culture within Powerledger.
- Look for opportunities to lift the performance of your colleagues in constructive ways.
- Lead by example.
- Work closely and effectively with key internal and external stakeholders including other staff, consultants and contractors.
- As needed, represent Powerledger at conferences, workshops and networking events focused on energy regulation.
Human Resource Management
- Maintain an awareness of and work within Powerledger’s Human Resource policies and procedures.
Information and Knowledge Management
- Effectively capture, store and use information in accordance with Powerledger’s Knowledge Management policy.
- Maintain an awareness of and work within business budgets.
- Develop and maintain industry knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; and participating in professional organisations.
Powerledger is an equal opportunity employer. Our goal is to celebrate diversity and ensure we create an inclusive environment for all employees. We welcome and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders, the LGBTQIA+ community, people living with disabilities, and people from diverse cultural backgrounds.